The Young Women’s Christian Association of Southern Africa (YWCA) was originally founded in Cape Town in April 1886. It was established as a Christian interdenominational non-profit making Company with affiliated YWCA Local Associations on the 14th October 1929.
The affiliated YW Local Associations developed in Pietermaritzburg (1896), Johannesburg (1903), East London (1905), Pretoria (1908) and Bloemfontein (1921). There were several other residences which opened over the years but they did not operate for very long, e.g. Parktown, Welkom.
Affiliated YW Local Associations were also established in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) but when that country became independent, they were forced to cut ties with the South African organization. Communication has been maintained however, between the Christian Residential Association (Bromley House) in Harare and our YW National Office.
In 2005 the YWCA in South Africa, changed its name to: CHRISTIAN RESIDENCES FOR YOUNG WOMEN, and known as THE YW, then, due to later changes in the South African Companies Act the initials “NPC (RF)” were added to the Company name.
The YW Christian Residences for young women is the longest serving Christian women’s organization in South Africa.
The YW provides accommodation to all young women regardless of colour, race, religion or creed, however, we are a Christian organisation and therefore the ‘boundaries’ with regards to House Rules are in accordance with our Company’s MOI and The YW Operations Manual which are founded not only on South African Companies Act requirements but also Christian biblical values.
All activities of the Company and its affiliated YW Local Associations take place within the confines of the Republic of South Africa.
Finding secure, affordable accommodation can be a problem - particularly for young women leaving home and spreading their wings. Whether they are students needing a 'nest', young women employed in the cities or visiting other cities for training, employment or holiday purposes, The YW provides a caring home away from home.
Students in particular find our residences exceptionally conducive to studying as they provide a safe and quiet atmosphere, even though situated in the midst of the largest South African cities. We have residences in Bloemfontein, Cape Town and Pietermaritzburg. Many of our occupants are from countries outside of South Africa so we offer wonderful opportunities for making international friendships, as well as friendships that will last a lifetime. Girls will always find a friend at The YW.
The YW sets out to provide mutual development, help and support to our residents - spiritually, socially, physically and intellectually. Dedicated staff are there to meet their needs: praying for them during exams or illnesses.
Our aim at TheYw Christian Residence, is to provide a home away from home, maintaining a healthy witness to a Christian way of life. Residents attend a weekly youth service and there are optional Bible study groups available while Life Skills and Youth Development programmes are organised on a regular basis. Recreation facilities differ from residence to residence, but some indoor and outdoor activities are available in them all and all our residences have DStv and DVD facilities along with internet and wi-fi connections.
THE YW NATIONAL OFFICE
(The YW MOI Article 4. 4.1(2) and Schedule 4 Part B.3.)
The YW National Office is staffed by the National Administrator.
Contact details are:
PO Box 2039,
c/- Baptist House
44 Blende Avenue
Please address all correspondence to: The National Administrator
The affiliated YW Local Associations providing accommodation for young women are:
• Pietermaritzburg YW Local Association NPO 000-824
• Bloemfontein YW Local Association NPO 000-825
• Cape Town YW Local Association NPO 000-827
Their contact information is provided under ACCOMMODATION.
The YW Basis of Faith
(The YW MOI Article 5)
This Basis of Faith forms the heart of who we are.
The doctrinal Basis of The YW shall be the fundamental truths of Christianity, as revealed in the Holy Scripture including:
1. The unity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
2. The sovereignty of the Godhead in creation, revelation, redemption, and final judgment.
3. The divine inspiration, infallibility and inerrancy of the Holy Scripture, as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
4. The universal sinfulness and guilt of human nature since the fall, rendering man subject to God's wrath and condemnation.
5. Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin through the sacrificial death (as our representative and substitute) of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
6. The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
7. The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective to the individual sinner, granting him repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ.
8. The justification of the sinner by the grace of God through faith in Christ alone.
9. The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
10. The one holy universal Church, which is the Body of Christ, and to which all true believers belong.
11. The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The aims and objects of The YW being inter-denominational, seek to draw young women into the Kingdom of God by faith in, and a relationship with, the Lord Jesus Christ.
The YW Mission Statement
(The YW MOI Schedule 1 Part A.4.)
The Mission Statement of The YW is:
• To provide safe, value for money, non-racial accommodation, caring, demonstrating and showing love based on Christian principles, enabling young women to be accommodated in a Christian environment.
• To consider the developing of existing or new residences.
• To provide a biblical foundation leading to a life committed to Jesus Christ and to offer opportunities for young women to enhance their personal growth.
• To cater for the development, help and welfare of young women and to consider partnering through support, other Christian evangelical organisations and/or persons already involved in ministry to young women between the ages of 18–25 years.
The YW Vision
(The YW MOI Schedule 1 Part A.5.)
To serve and glorify God and His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, fulfilling the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20) by ministering spiritually, targeting specifically young women between the ages of 18 to 25 years, within a YW residential multicultural environment and to consider financial assistance to other Christian evangelical organizations and/or persons involved in ministry to young women.
For more information concerning accommodation fees and other details please view each individual Local Association’s page
If you would like more information concerning our work, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
or write to :
The National Administrator
THE YW National Office
PO Box 2039
‘Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ Says the Lord of hosts.'
Zechariah 4 v 6
Postal and Residential Address:
The National Administrator
THE YW National Office
PO Box 2039
Fax:+27 86 671 8247
Email Address: email@example.com
Please address all correspondence to:
Isaiah 43:1 –
"Fear not, for I the Lord your God,
have redeemed you;
I have called you by name "